Saturday, August 06, 2005

ABC’s “Brat Camp” Misuses Native American Spirituality


By Lisa Haddock
NJ Faith Forum Editor

I am from Oklahoma, the heart of Native American country. Oklahoma was once Indian Territory, and some 70 tribes from all over the country live in my home state.

I’m not a Native American, but I did grow up with Indian kids, and I learned a fair amount about their cultures. As you see in the photo above, I am standing next to the sign marking entry into Oklahoma. And for those of you who don’t know, the symbol in the sign is the Osage battle shield.

That’s why I am disturbed by the recent “naming ceremony” on the ABC reality show “Brat Camp,” which airs at 8 and 9 p.m. Wednesdays.

To read MORE click below:
  • More

  • To return to main index, click below:
  • Current Issues and Controversies

  • To return to archive index, click below:
  • From the Archives
  • No comments: